Sunday, Jun 20, 2021 | Last Update : 08:49 AM IST
Starring three stellar actors Shah Rukh Khan, Saif Ali Khan and Preity Zinta, the film narrates the tale of friendship, romance, and tragedy, in as real a manner as it can get! The film had the perfect blend of comedy and drama and gave us some innumerable unforgettable characters like Kantaben, Frankie Ramdayal, and Swittu, who are actually popular culture icons today.
Starring Shah Rukh Khan, Preity Zinta and Saif Ali Khan, this love triangle had its share of comic and even naughty sequences. At the same time, the film exceled with its emotional sequences. Be it the intermission point when audiences learn of Aman’s illness or the marvellous scene of Aman pretending to read Rohit’s diary and not to forget, Aman’s sequence at the deathbed, the film left every viewer teary-eyed and this happens even in repeat viewing.
The film was written by Karan Johar with dialogues from Niranjan Iyengar and directed by debutante director Nikhil Advani. It was the last film to be produced by Yash Johar. He passed away in June 2004. As the film, completes 15 years today, let's take a look at some lesser-known facts about the film.
1) Kareena Kapoor Khan was the first choice for the role of Naina. However, Kareena asked for a rather high price, and the idea had to be dropped. For almost a year, Karan and Kareena were not on talking terms. Apparently, Karan Johar was so besotted with Roy Orbison's Pretty Woman, that he actually went and got permission to recreate Aman's introductory song in the film.
2) The first choice for the film name was Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna. However, KJo had a change of heart and decided to call his 2006 film, that instead. Although the film was Karan Johar's brainchild, he wrote it with all his heart but he did not direct it. It was Nikhil Advani who cashed the opportunity and made a fantastic directorial debut.
3) Director Nikhil Advani shared that the popular Kal Ho Naa Ho tune was composed in a German bakery, in Pune. Nikhil and Loy (Mendosa) were at a German Bakery in Pune and the filmmaker was humming the song, My Heart Will Go On, as he wanted a similar song for the film. Loy then came up with the tune that he recorded in his phone. Following this, Shankar Mahadevan and Ehsaan Noorani listened to it and came up with the entire song. Nikhil also said that Shah Rukh Khan almost backed out of the film. After shooting for four days in Mumbai, SRK fell ill. He called KJo and said, 'I think I won't be able to do it'. But Nikhil told Karan to wait for SRK to recover and the shoot began after six months.
4) Abhishek Bachchan and Vivek Oberoi were approached for Saif's role. Karan Johar approached Neetu Kapoor to play the role of Jenny, Naina's mom in the film. However, that didn't work out, so the role went to Jaya Bachchan instead.
5) In the beginning, we see Naina running, but that wasn't Preity, as she had fallen and hurt herself. Nikhil Advani got a model to jog in front of the camera instead. The modifications of Jia's (Naina's sister) dolls were actually made by Preity Zinta, the day before the shooting of the scene.